Thursday, August 28, 2008


About Terry Introduction

I have always enjoyed working with wood, first as a builder and property developer, and then also as a woodturner. New Zealand has an enthusiastic woodturning community, perhaps because our native timber is plentiful and highly-figured, and our forests and shorelines inspirational.

Although I continue to turn embellished platters and other pieces for local galleries and to order, over the past several years I have increasingly focused on work that is less functional, exploring the artistic possibilities of form, carving, texture, and color. I enjoy creating pieces that require planning and unique ways of holding the wood, and that raise questions as to “how it was done.” My signature pieces involve two, three or four wings on a textured bowl or lidded box, but I continue to take my enjoyment of unique forms and surface treatments in other directions as well, creating pieces that reflect a broad range of approaches and techniques.

An important part of the turning experience, for me, is learning from and helping other turners. I have attended numerous “Turnarounds” (including Australia’s largest event each year since 2000), and many Collaboration events with artists in other media. I have been an active member of the South Auckland Woodurners Guild since 1996 (including several terms as President) where I am a frequent demonstrator at our weekly meetings. Demonstrating enables me to “give something back”, and I enjoy the lively give-and-take and the questions that always arise.

I have regularly entered most of the major national woodturning shows in New Zealand, as I enjoy the challenge and benefit from the judges’ feedback. Examples:

Royal Easter Show: awards each year since 2001 have included Firsts in bowls, lidded boxes, hollow forms, and sculptural/abstract. Supreme Exhibit in 2008, Best Overall Woodturner in 2006, and Best of Show in 2004

Franklin Arts Festival: awards each year since 2001 (except for 2006, when I was a judge) have included Firsts in hollow forms, decorated bowls and platters, miniatures, and lidded boxes. Best of Show in 2001 and 2004

Thames Society of the Arts (Best of Show, 2007); National Woodskills Festival (First in traditional woodturning 2007); Working with Wood (Best of Show 2005 and 2006); Northland Kauri Festival (Best of Best 2006); and a number of others.

Additional lists of achievements can be seen on my web site www.timberly.co.nz under achievements

My work has been commissioned and displayed by a number of corporations and public facilities including the Bruce Pullman Events Centre, the New Zealand Olive Growers Association, Cornwall Park Trust, and Vodafone. I have also exhibited and sold work through . The Primea Gallery la ,Morgan Street gallery Newmaret Nz ,Textures Gallery Newmarket NewZealand ,.Kiwi Artz Online gallery

2006, I was chosen as a weekly gallery selector for World of Woodturners website (WOW)

I n addition I have many pieces in collections around the world

No comments: